The Dodgers avoided arbitration with catcher Russell Martin and reliever Jonathan Broxton by signing both of them to one-year contracts on Tuesday. "It was good to get that out of the way," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. "They can concentrate on the season without the distraction, which is a plus." Martin, 25, batted .280 with 13 home runs and 69 RBIs last year while being named an All-Star for the second straight year. He will earn $3.9 million in 2009 after making $500,000 last season.
Broxton, 24, struck out 88 batters in 69 innings while posting a 3.13 ERA as the team's primary setup man and, later, the team's closer, saving 14 games. He will make $1.825 million plus incentives after earning $454,000 last season. The signings leave outfielder Andre Ethier as the only Dodgers player eligible for salary arbitration. Ethier asked for $3.75 million in salary arbitration on Tuesday with the Dodgers offering him $2.65 million. Ethier, 26, earned $424,500 last season, when he batted .305 with 20 home runs and 77 RBIs. The hearing date will likely be set later this week with the meeting scheduled to take place sometime between Feb. 1-21. But the Dodgers are hopeful it won't reach that point, as the club has had just two arbitration cases reach a hearing since 2004. "Hopefully, we can get to a resolution before a hearing," Colletti said.
Rhett Bollinger is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.