Broxton to be shut down for three weeks

Broxton to be shut down for three weeks

Broxton to be shut down for three weeks
MINNEAPOLIS -- After having an MRI on his elbow on Monday, Jonathan Broxton will be shut down for three weeks, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.

Broxton felt pain in his elbow Sunday, and the MRI showed that he is still dealing with the bone bruise that put him on the disabled list in May. In a best-case scenario, he could return to the Dodgers some time in August.

Though Broxton felt ready to return before two rehab outings, the bone bruise either never fully healed or returned after he got back on the mound.

"You get out there on the field and you use another gear, and obviously when he got to that, that's when he felt it again," Mattingly said. "Or it came from it, at least. He didn't feel it at the time, but he obviously irritated it to the point where it came back."

Mattingly said that he is prepared to continue with a closer-by-committee approach for now, choosing who will close out games based on the situations and matchups. He also noted that Javy Guerra has emerged as the best option in the back end of the bullpen.

But with an injury that has already lasted much longer than expected, there's a chance Broxton could not pitch again for the Dodgers this season.

"We're at a timetable now that's getting to be so far out again that -- he did that once, he did the three weeks, the slow return and all that, and we got back to here," Mattingly said. "It's just hard to say, you know, 'We're going to get him in six weeks, or seven weeks, or eight weeks.'

"To me, at this point, if he gets back, great, all the better. But you've got to kind of move forward."