"It looked easy for him to throw," manager Joe Torre said. "Looks like he's in good shape. I think the plan is a rehab appearance, probably this weekend. ... He'll need a day off after today."
The 27-year-old right-hander has been on the restricted list for team-described personal reasons since July 7. The Los Angeles Times reported Belisario was seeking treatment for substance abuse.
"Good," Belisario said when asked how he was feeling. He did not speak to reporters at length.
General manager Ned Colletti did not shed any light on what had kept the right-hander away for so long and said the timetable for his return wasn't entirely in control of the Dodgers.
"Some if it's out of our control, so we'll see," Colletti said. "I think it's a strong step. But like I said, there's more steps to go, but it's good to see him and see him out here. He looks like he's in good shape and it looks like his arm is still strong, still there."
Belisario threw mostly two-seam fastballs, with a few breaking balls and split-finger fastballs. Outfielder Reed Johnson stood in as a right-handed batter and bullpen catcher Mike Borzello as a left-hander. They took no swings.
Belisario began to work out at Dodger Stadium on July 26, and Colletti said Thursday was the fifth time Belisario had thrown. He threw a bullpen session at Dodger Stadium Wednesday morning, as well. Belisario, who appeared to have lost weight, had not previously thrown with reporters on hand.
Pitching coach Rick Honeycutt watched Belisario throw with about a dozen onlookers that included players, coaches, Torre and Colletti.
"He looks free and easy," Honeycutt said. "The ball obviously comes out of his hands extremely nice. His command was overall good and his velocity looked fine."
Colletti said he had not talked to Torre about the possibility of having Belisario speak in front of his team upon his return.
Belisario does not have to be activated from the restricted list -- and thereby returned to the 40-man roster -- to participate in rehab games. There are limits to how long a player can remain on the restricted list, limits Colletti said were not an issue.
"I ain't worried about that," Colletti said. "I can tell you that, I'm not worried about that."
When Belisario left the team, it put a bullpen that already had two underperforming relievers in George Sherrill and Ramon Troncoso in an even tighter bind. The team has since traded for veteran Octavio Dotel.
Asked what his emotion toward Belisario is, Colletti sounded empathetic.
"I don't know," he said. "I wish for everybody to have a good life and not be unencumbered by whatever challenges, no matter who it is. But we all know life isn't like that. There' a human element that comes into play with all of us. Whatever my emotions are, I always have to come on to figuring out what we're going to do."
Belisario, a native of Venezuela, started the season on the restricted list because of visa issues connected to an arrest last season on suspicion of DUI. The case was resolved on a lesser charge in March.
Evan Drellich is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.